From water to streets to stop signs, the Public Works Department maintains the infrastructure of the city and has a strong impact on the quality of life offered to residents. Jobs performed by the Department include:
- Maintaining streets, including paving and patching, installation of curbs and gutters, installing signs and striping streets.
- Providing fresh water, maintaining and replacing water meters, water and sewer lines and fire hydrants.
- Monitoring garbage, trash and recyclable under contract with a private firm.
- Operating two freshwater treatment plants.
- Operating two wastewater treatment plants.
- Cutting down and trimming trees and cutting grass on city right-of-way.
- Cleaning out ditches and culverts, sweeping streets, constructing sidewalks and spraying for mosquitoes.
- Maintaining all of the city's vehicles and equipment.
Title VI Information
Title VI of the 1964 Civil Rights Act provides that no person in the United States shall, on the grounds of race, color, or national origin be excluded from participation in, be denied benefits of or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.
>> See Complaint Form
City Of Meridian Policy Statement
The City of Meridian assures that no person shall on the grounds of race, color, sex, age, disability or national origin, as provided by Title VI of the Civil Rights act of 1964 and the Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1987 be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under any program or activity. The City of Meridian further assures that every effort will be made to ensure nondiscrimination in all its programs and activities, regardless of the funding source. The City of Meridian will include Title VI language in all written agreements and bid notices and will monitor compliance. The Title VI Coordinator will be responsible for initiating and monitoring Title VI activities and all other responsibilities as needed.
– Mayor Cheri Barry