Minimum Qualifications for Entry-Level Firefighter:
- Must be at least 19 years of age
- Must have High School Diploma or GED
- Must have valid Mississippi Driver’s License
All testing is conducted in accordance with the Rules and Regulations of the Civil Service Commission.
Physical Testing – Pass or Fail only. One must pass to advance to written test.
Written Test – Must have 70 or above to advance to oral testing.
Oral Testing – Final testing and will be averaged with written test to comprise total score.
Note: All position classifications will require a criminal background investigation. Failure to complete the background investigation phase shall constitute a failure in examination.
All job applicants offered employment must submit to a drug and alcohol test. Any job applicant who tests positive for drugs or alcohol will not be considered for employment.
What is the Physical Test?
All applicants shall begin the physical testing phase by donning a 50 lb weighted vest that simulates the weight of firefighting gear. The physical test is a PASS/FAIL test with the applicant having 6 minutes, 30 seconds to complete the test in the following order:
- Sit and Reach. 8” minimum (Simulates flexibility)
- Tunnel Crawl (Simulates performing in a confined space with limited visibility)
- Hose Drill. Tightly and neatly roll (1) 50’ section of 3” hose and carry hose to rack. (Simulates required hose duties)
- Dummy Drag. Candidate shall drag a 150 lb dummy 75’. (Simulates victim rescue)
- Window Climb. Candidate shall climb up through a window. (Simulates gaining entry into a structure)
- Hose Advance. Candidate shall drag 100’ of 1 ¾ charged fire hose for a distance of 75’, open nozzle and hit specified target. (Simulates fire attack)
- Drill Tower. 25 lbs of weight is added to vest and candidate shall climb steps to top of training facility drill tower and come back down to 2nd floor. (Demonstrates ability to carry added weight to above grade locations)
- Hose Hoist-On 2nd floor of drill tower, candidate shall hoist hand over hand (1) 3” section of fire hose to the second floor and lift it over the railing and place it on deck then proceed back down to the first floor where the added 25 lbs of weight is removed. (Simulates getting tools and equipment to an above grade location)
- Log Chop. Candidate shall hit a stump 25 times while standing on an incline using a 12 lb. sledge hammer. (Simulates ventilation of a structure)
State Certified Firefighter - This position is for Firefighters looking for the possibility of transferring to Meridian Fire Department. The basic requirements are:
- Must currently be certified by the Mississippi Fire Personnel Minimum Standards and Certification Board as a Firefighter.
- Must have High School Diploma or GED.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Mississippi Driver’s License.
- Must submit and pass a thorough background investigation.
- Must submit to and pass a drug and alcohol test.
City of Meridian Fire Department Benefits:
- 30-year state retirement plan
- Paid personal health insurance plan
- Paid personal dental insurance plan