The Community Development Department is aptly named. Just about everything that relates to economic, cultural and physical development and growth of the community is handled by the professional staff. Those issues include:
- Comprehensive planning concerning land use, zoning and subdivisions through the Planning Division.
- Planning and preservation related to historic buildings through the Certified Local Government program.
- Urban forestry initiatives, including siting and maintaining of trees, shrubs and flowers throughout the community.
- Transportation planning.
- Research and administration of various federal and state grant/loan programs.
- Arts, cultural affairs and special events coordinated by the Cultural Affairs office.
- Flood plain management related to the Community Rating System.
- Issuance of building permits, plus building inspectors and code enforcement through the Building & Inspection division.
- Special projects like reapportionment of voting wards, annexation, and Neighborhood Revitalization.
- Operation, maintenance and administration of the city's Multi-Modal Transportation Center--Union Station.
- Serving as staff to the Meridian Urban Renewal Authority--an entity that promotes economic development and redevelopment.
- Serving as staff to the Meridian Redevelopment Agency--an entity that promotes development of the Freedom Park area.
- Administering the Urban Renewal Tax Abatement Program.
- Serving as staff to the Meridian and Bonita Lakes Development Authority--an entity created by state legislation to promote and fund projects/programs that promote economic development throughout Meridian/Lauderdale County, with emphasis on the Bonita Lakes area.
- Operation, maintenance and administration of the City’s downtown Arts District Parking Garage.